Tuesday, June 15, 2010

New Goal

It does no good to try to get off insulin shots. You have to let that be a by-product, a bonus. It is better to take that one little shot if you need it than to try to get by with your sugar a little high, or running yourself ragged exercising it off. Use what you need until you no longer need it.

That said, I have a new goal: No more shots of more than x units. I know what my personal x is. Yours may be different. x is that amount that we need, whereas 3x to 5x is the amount we take after splurging or just over-eating the slightest amount.

Even when 5x is adequate to control our sugar, the effects of over-eating and shooting excess insulin into our bodies are devastating and immediately debilitating. It is impossible to feel super (or in my opinion good at all) after over-eating, sugar level regardless. Diabetic regardless.

Based on the first paragraph, my goal is indirect. I am actually striving not to overeat or eat things not of value, so that x units or less or none are adequate.

It's actually not new. This is what I have been trying to shoot for since before I started this blog, but I am writing it down and reviving it. Somehow, when you don't get a lot of reminding, you tend to adjust your insulin dose to allow your environment to control your intake, rather than your true appetite.

Then again, my goal has actually been less specific: to be perfect. I never (or at least not lately) actually focused on limiting all shots to x units as a primary goal.