Saturday, July 18, 2020

18L20

For breakfast today, I cooked down some baby kale (about 2 C) with a little butter and onion in a small fry pan we use to scramble eggs, added a little cayenne, scrambled in 2 eggs, and served mixed with plain sesame seeds roasted in the same pan.

My son had thinned his garden kale and saved what he pulled.  I had separated the above-ground portions from the roots and dirt clods and grit.

The kale didn't actually 'cook down' but remained gnuarley and snarly (kept its height and springiness), and when I scrambled in the eggs, they disappeared!  They appeared largely to be gone but I found that the mess required longer cooking than I normally would observe, because raw egg kept forming in the pan.

Anyway, that was after the customary raw carrot, and with a nice drink of water.  Quite different and quite good.

I am now pretty much lock stock and barrel about not eating carbs other than the carrot and seeds before Noon.  Sugar just jumps otherwise.  But in the pm, I usually get away with eating all the fruit and grain and what not I want.

By the way, I have never had A1C results < 6.5 or so; I am shooting now to break the 6.0 floor barrier.  Have actively and carefully controlled my sugar this past month more than ever before, and had a pretty easy time of it.  I have been getting about 3-5 undesirable level spikes per week, with a maximum of 229.  Undesirable level is defined as > 150.  I test pronto, any time I am not absolutely certain it's good, and record the number in a spreadsheet.  So the spreadsheet does not show test results according to a consistent schedule but rather shows the general times during the day and the results of all 'peaks.'  My average peak for June was 122; for July, it is running 135 right now.  But this says nothing about the fact that I am testing pronto like never before and correcting quickly the climbing levels that do occur, and it says nothing about what my average level is, only the average peak (sometimes when I am not certain, and I test, it can be quite low, and that is why the average "peak" is so low).