Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bread

I loved bread and ate it as much as anyone.



In my journey learning to eat enough without making sugar levels too high, I found that just one or two slices of commercial bread, whether or not it contained white flour or whole grains, seemed to have a lasting (like a couple of days) level-increasing effect. Eating a couple of loaves in a day, as I was used to when younger, had a devastating effect. My wife's homemade bread has a similar effect to a lesser degree.



I found that I could eat unlimited amounts of boiled wheat without raising my sugar level. Similar story for plain sprouted wheat or spelt uncooked. You just don't eat as much. Face it: bread is highly processed food. The more processed a food, the greater the tendency to overeat on it. Bread is ground, squished, raised and baked to death, and in the commercial case, usually has more industrial things added to it than a can of commercial soup.



My current exclusive bread is sprouted and raw. I do not overeat on it. I eat very little every day. Which is good because it ain't that easy to make and I can't buy it. It has very little effect on my blood sugar levels. I eat as much as I want and do not need to restrain myself. My appetite works. I never go hungry for bread. It was hard in earlier years to resist white, french bread and other delicacies, but now I don't miss them. When you're eating sprouted bread, especially if it's raw, you really can feel the better feeling.



In general, the appetite is most keen with raw food.



Raw fooders tend not to eat grain at all. I am just learning about them, but I understand they have something against too much gluten. I know nothing about that. I would have guessed that allergies to wheat are mainly due to hybridization and genetic engineering. One known result from hybridization is more gluten in the wheat. In any case, I am eating less grain and I am eating less gluten simply because I am eating simple now rather than processed. The simpler the food, the better the appetite works, and you don't eat as much. I do not believe in cutting out gluten or grains just because someone had ill effects from eating too much of them or doctoring them. I have said similar things about meat.



It is a universal philosophy for me, I guess. I see the world slowly eliminating things from the Wholesome Food list based on one logic or another, but none of the arguments I have heard have been compelling to me. I believe in wisdom and prudence in the use of what we have, not the total elimination of it from our diet. When will they stop - when all you can eat is nothing? So go ahead - have a peanut! Wait! Slow Down! I said "a" peanut!