Saturday, May 23, 2009

Randy Abbey

I always think of my brother in law, Randy, when I come across written gems, particularly if they come in the form of a news headline.

Here's one from a bread wrapper I noticed yesterday (the gem, I fonted bold):

OUR PROMISE

Nothing less than 100%. The Nature's Pride Promise. Every single slice (hey - what if you double them up?) of Nature's Pride bread is baked the way Nature intended.

Now, the fact that 'Nature' is capitalized, I could take that to be a reference to the baking company, not the un-perverted flow of things. If that is the case, then never mind. But if they mean 'nature' in the general sense, it is funny, since by definition, bread is the product of significant processing. Humor evaporates when you explain it, but I have to tell you, I had a good long laugh when I read this wrapper.

While I'm at it, let me show you a great example of poor (but funny) professorship writing (but by no means the worst writing I have seen coming from an engineering or science Phd - not by a long shot): "Although a time-varying system without nonlinearity is still a linear system, the analysis and design of this class of systems are usually much more complex than that of the linear time-invariant systems." It could have been said, "The analysis and design of time-varying systems is usually much more complex than time-invariant systems, even if linear."